Saturday, January 07, 2006

how would you respond?


We were with family over the holidays and went out for lunch together. We were just finishing up eating when a boy of 7 or 8 came up to our table. He poudly held three markers which he had obviously used to scribble all over his face. He then asked, "Would you like your face painted?" Jonathan and Karissa and their cousins were quite amused with this request, but they politely declined this artistic form and thanked the young boy for offering. As you can well imagine there were a few giggles passed around the table upon his departure.

About 10 minutes later we observed a man in his 20's leaving the restaurant. He abruptly turned back, came to our table, picked up a dish of dipping sauce and threw the sauce into Karissa's face. He placed the dish down and walked out of the restaurant leaving Karissa with sauce in her right eye, all through her hair and down the front of sweater.

We will finish telling this story in another blog...but our question to you is...how would you respond in a situation like this?

13 Comments:

At 6:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would, of course, turn the other "eye". Actually, I would probably go after him and ask him why he did it, and tell him that I didn't understand.

 
At 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would probably go after him and ask him why he did it.

 
At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would probably turn the other "eye". Actually, I would probably go after him and ask him why he did it.

 
At 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd have to collect myself and decide.

 
At 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd probably ask him why he did it.

 
At 7:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd probably go after him and ask him why he did it.

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Jacob2-2 said...

Sounds like he was using the ancient Mesopatamian greeting called "Wekugnut" developed by the high priets of the Myceanean island of Mykos as a way to show their affection for one another without actually touch ing their bodies. This was due to a rash of leprosy on the island in the late 11th century BCE. So if I was to run up to the man afterwards, I would expect him to be an expert in Myceanean literature and religion and so he would want me to complete the "Wekugnut" ritual greeting by poking his left eye with a stick or other sharp object.

Cultural sensitivity is a real minefield and is yet so important.

 
At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...as a parent it would be really difficult not to follow him and give him a piece of my heart and mind. Yet inside I would also be wondering why he felt entitled to do such a thing. Ultimately I think I'd clean myself up and tuck it away as a story to share about the unique moments of life and how inexplainable people can be.

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to reading what YOU did. Karissa is going to wonder all her life if she did something to provoke that stupidity--and she might be a little afraid. So I guess, if her Dad were there, he might have gone after the guy to ask for an explanation. This is a crazy world, tho, and crazy people can become violent. Did the restaurant people know what happened?

 
At 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What happened? We are waiting on the edge of our seats to know what the outcome was.

 
At 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karissa, are you going to give us the scoop?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home